Gov. Suntai arrives Nigeria Amidst Speculations of still being Sick after 10 months of medical treatment abroad

Sharing is caring!

Despite receiving medical attention for almost a year in Germany and later United States of America, Governor Danbaba Suntai of Taraba on Sunday arrived in Nigeria amidst speculation that he still cannot recognize anyone including his closest aides. Though the Public was made to believe that he is now well and can resume his duties as the Governor, events of yesterday at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on his arrival suggested otherwise. He was not allowed to make statement and he barely acknowledged cheers from the people who had come to welcome him.

Governor Suntan was taken for treatment abroad after his involvement in a plane crash on Oct. 25, 2012. Suntai arrived at the old wing of theGovernor Danbaba Suntai Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja, aided to alight from the aircraft at about 1.10 p.m. and immediately proceeded to Jalingo.

Suntai, alongside some of his aides, was involved in a plane crash he piloted in Yola.Even though he did not talk to newsmen at the airport, one of his associates , John Dara, insisted that the governor was mentally alert as against speculations that he had lost his memory. “We were excited to see him and it is understandable that after the long trip, he was weak and tired.“But, we were thrilled by the fact that he recognised everyone by name which shows that he is mentally alert and lucid,’’ Dara said.

He noted that the governor’s mental alertness indicated that he was capable of taking over the affairs of the state. “That itself is a clear indication that he is capable of running the affairs of Taraba as the governor. “We had no doubt in our minds that when he gets back to Jalingo today, it will be up to his doctor to say whether he will resume today or in a couple of days to come. “But he is clearly okay and able to function,’’ Dara said.He said that his (the governor) decision not to talk to newsmen might be because of the long journey.“Talking to newsmen can be spontaneous and organised. So, we felt that when he has rested well, it will be easier for him to address Nigerians,’’ Dara said.

Another close associate of Suntai, Rima Shamulu, said the decision to take over the ruling of the state lied with him in line with the provisions of the constitution. “There are provisions in the constitution for you to take over or not to.“And if he gets back to Jalingo today, and he transmits a letter to the state assembly through the speaker that he has arrived, that is all; he can take over as the governor. “S, I don’t know why there are speculations around because there is constitutional provision when someone becomes too sick to function; it is not for us to speculate. “And with the way I saw him, he is allright,’’ Shamulu said.The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that

Suntai was transferred from hospital in Yola to the National Hospital, Abuja, on Oct. 26, 2012, preparatory to his being flown to Germany for further medical treatment.About one hour after the governor was admitted into the intensive care unit of the hospital, President Goodluck Jonathan visited him.
The president confirmed then that Suntai’s condition was stable and urged Nigerians to thank God for sparing the governor’s life.
On Oct. 27, 2012,  Barely 48 hours after Suntai was moved from Yola to the National Hospital, Abuja, he was flown to Germany for further medical treatment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *